Editsense | A Film Language & Film Making Interactive DVD
Editsense & Filmsense
What is Editsense?
‘Editsense is a new approach to learning about film language and film-making’.
This is an interactive DVD with excellent, practical examples of film - perfect for teachers of moving image, be it English, Creative and Digital Media or Film Studies.
It has over fifty video examples and includes materials for the introduction and revision of film.
What does it include?
It includes video examples of film language including camerawork, mise-en-scene, editing techniques, sound and even advanced features like continuity.
Each term and video clip has a clear definition to make it easy for students to understand the medium specific language. This is great for directed teaching.
To then move onto independent work, users are then able to edit a range of shots. These include:
On a deserted beach a boy gets a text.
A girl in black approaches from behind. Is she a ghost, a lover or a killer?
It’s up to you: choose from over 50 shots with different action, framing, focal length, camera position and movement, then create a soundtrack.
Edit it on your own or follow a step-by-step guide.
This sequence from the S4C youth drama ‘Rownd a Rownd’ shows a taxi swerving to avoid a sheep in the road and turning over. The action has been filmed from two camera positions outside the car and from positions inside the car.
In an empty building, a boy climbs stairs towards a darkened room. What’s waiting for him?
A girl runs to a lift, waits anxiously until she gets to the top floor, and runs to a locked door.
Lift and Stairs can be used together for a parallel editing or flashback sequence. They can also be combined with the static cutaways of the building below.
By having a range of shots and narratives, students can quickly experiment with editing skills before they start their own work.
This is an invaluable opportunity as all the hard work is done for you. You can use either PCs (MovieMaker, Premiere or Pinnacle) or Mac (iMovie or Final Cut) software to edit it.
What is Filmsense?
Filmsense – included on the Editsense DVD-ROM – is an introduction to film language for teenagers and young adults. It includes over 50 video clips, 24 still clips, and clear explanations of the basic elements of film language. It’s particularly relevant to students who will be making films as part of Media Studies, Film Studies or Moving Image Arts coursework.
What does it cover?
- mise-en-scène: setting, costume, gesture, light and colour
- camera: framing, angle, lens, movement, cutaways, inserts, reaction shots
- continuity: shot-reverse shot, looking space, eyeline match, the 180 degree rule
- time: scene time, stretch time, compressed time, ellipsis, parallel editing, flashbacks
- editing: sequencing, selecting action, editing on the action, jump cuts, split edits/sound bridges, montage, pace
- sound: diegetic, music, voiceover, editing to music
Filmsense runs in full-screen mode or a resizeable window on Mac or PC.
To accompany this, there are printable guides - both small storyboard size and full frames. The videos are dialogue free so students of all languages are able to access it.
We are also offering Edusites training for teachers and students, using Editsense. If you are interested in either a half or full day of Editing (theory and / or practical), please email us. We know that editing can create headaches for teachers and students alike. We want to cut that out.
Where can I buy Editsense?
You can buy it from us. Edusites are now selling Editsense.
Contact us by email, fax or phone to order your copy and licence.
[t] 01604 847689
[f] 01604 843220
- System requirements - Films are in standard definition DV PAL format, 4:3 aspect ratio.
- Hard disc space: 4.11 GB to install everything, 3.43Gb to install all the practice films. They can be installed individually.
- A 50-user version (school / non-profit) is available for £99.00.
- A 100-user HE / trainer version is available for £199.
- Editsense Training is available at £20 per student with a minimum of 20 students for a half day workshop or £499 + travel expenses for a full day (conditions apply).