GCSE 9-1 English Language and Literature here

Xmas Quizzes

Cover Lessons

Blog Archive

Student Room

Useful Materials

The Poems of Emily Dickinson: Sample Answer

Theresa Sowerby | Monday September 03, 2012

Categories:

click on image to enlarge

Guide Navigation

Introduction and Biography | Features of Dickinson’s Style | Themes and Subject Matter | Poem by Poem Analysis | Sample Answer

Exemplar Exam Answer (OCR F661 June 2013 Exam Paper)

11. One need not be a Chamber – to be Haunted

In Section A of the OCR AS paper you are given the text of one of the poems that you will have studied and a question to help focus your analysis. About 80% of your answer should be on the given poem but the other 20% needs to be used to make connections with other poems and show awareness of key features of the poet’s work. (For OCR Unit F661: Poetry and Prose 1800-1945 – Closed Text)

OCR Assessment Objectives

The dominant assessment objective for this question is AO2 – to demonstrate detailed critical understanding in analysing the ways in which structure, form and language shape meaning in literary texts.

You will also be assessed on AO4 – to demonstrate understanding of the significance and influence of the contexts in which literary texts are written and received. Note that CONTEXT here refers principally to other poems by the same author.

You will also be assessed on AO1 – to articulate creative, informed and relevant responses to literary texts using appropriate terminology and concepts.

You will be given the text of one of the poems that you have studied and a question that creates a p focus for your analysis. About 80% of your answer should be on the given poem but the other 20% needs to be used to make connections with other poems and show awareness of key features of the poet’s work. You will need to show that you are confident in using literary terminology in your discussion of language, form and structure.

Below is an exemplar answer to the question set by OCR on Emily Dickinson in June 2013. The sections in red are those which link the poem to others by Dickinson in this collection.

Question from OCR AS Paper Poetry and Prose...


Please subscribe or log in to access the rest of this resource (including associated media).

This website offers a wealth of enriched content to help you help your students with GCSE English Language and Literature. Please subscribe or log in to access this content.

The content of this site has been produced by teachers and examiners. Edusites have similar support sites for Film and Media called Edusites Film and Edusites Media.

If you would like more information about Edusites English, get in touch using the contact details below.

Kind regards, Richard Gent
Edusites Ltd

[email] admin@edusites.co.uk
[telephone] 01604 847689
[fax] 01604 843220